By accessing this site, you consent to the use of cookies. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. B4 mou… Canon sells the following two adapters, both with shim kits: 1. This was more of a skin tone test, looking at both cameras’ color space and how it handled the subtle nuances of different skin tones on a face. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. There is no extreme looks or dreamy nor dramatic imagery. The Canon C500 Mark IIis definitely more expensive on paper. RED Gemini (No longer available due to bandwidth)107GB. Sony FX9 Download 1.37GB. One thing that I pride myself in is the integration of using multiple formats to tell your story and with that using what each digital sensor does best. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Arri Alexa Mini LF (No longer available due to bandwidth) 136GB So they made a short video to try and explain it. I like to do these tests both in the day and at night. This article illustrates the advantages which VMI believes offer the cinemtographer over similar cameras. It can be used in a cut-down format to make it suitable for gimbal and drone use or instead can be built up into a fully-featured shoulder-mounted camera complete with full ARRI kit and professional viewfinder*. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. Less Updated Title Year. Like our articles and website? This design not only allows for more modularity within the C300 line but also means all accessories designed for the C500 Mark II will also work with the new C300 Mark III. The ergonomic grip design for easy handling and operability, making it ideal for single shooter operation. The reason a cinematographer selects a specific camera for their film is the look and feel of the sensor and their lenses, not because they are under contract with them. It’s been over 7 years since the introduction of the original Canon C500, which used to be Canon’s flagship cinema camera before the C700 was introduced in 2016. The fall off into the shadows was gradual and elegant. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. When viewing our tests, the Canon color space on the big screen felt like Kodak. The C500 seemed like you had to be very exacting. That is as unbiased as I can be. Canon incorporated what they refer to as DGO (Dual gain Output) into the C300 Mark III. If the outside of the Canon C300 Mark III looks both different and familiar, there’s a reason why: it uses the exact same body as Canon’s C500 Mark II camera. Even the 2019 Oscar-nominated Best Documentary films were all shot on either the Canon C300, Canon C300 Mark II, or a Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 5D Mark III, or a Canon 1DX Mark II. This article illustrates the advantages which VMI believes offer the cinematographer over similar cameras. The C500 II incorporates 2 x XLR audio inputs but when used with the Extension 2 module, this increases to 4 x separate XLR audio inputs. I compare digital camera sensors to film emulsions. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. This is a test I like to do because it gets you in the head space of what fill levels your camera sensor responds to on a face. I believe you choose whatever sensor is best for the story and that may mean incorporating multiple cameras. I am now narrowing it down to Ursa mini Pro . Should you opt for a locking mount? This card format can provide a sustained data rate of up to 1700 Mb/s without the need of an external recorder. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. It had amazing range and skin tone and BIT depth no matter what ISO you shot it at below 800. 15 stops of dynamic range is available when shooting with either the Canon Log2 gamma curve or in Cinema Raw Light, making it ideally suited to capturing HDR video content and the camera is able to record oversampled 4K video internally, which should provide superior results to using a native 4K only sensor. These cookies do not store any personal information. Working the the team at Epic Light Media, filmmaker Armando Ferreira has gotten three extremely popular >4K cameras to test: the 6K-shooting Canon EOS C500 Mark II, 8K-capable Canon EOS R5, and the mind-boggling URSA Mini Pro 12K. It looked cinematic. Canon’s 5D Mark III and C500 can both utilize CF and SD cards, while the URSA Mini runs CFast 2.0 cards that will run you around $500. In this corner, weighing 13.7 lbs. Canon Log 2 and 3 Support. The Canon EOS C500 Mark II 5.9K Full-Frame Camera Body is part of the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras, and it features a full-frame CMOS sensor with an effective 18.69MP resolution. My favorite film stock to use is Kodak. Additionally, video output from the camera can be monitored by selecting the ACES Proxy. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Log workflows provide the user with higher dynamic range, more highlight and shadow retention, and more flexibility in … I loved the in-depth tests that the experienced cinematographers had put them through. All this contradiction make really hard to choose Canon camera. The C500 seemed to do the same but not as extreme. As for this moment, the brand new C300 Mark III is not on the list. The full frame (FF) or windowed open gate or Super-35 modes mean that you have a complete choice of all of the capture formats including S-35 Open Gate 4:3 to create 2:1 ot 2:38:1, 16:9 windowed S-35 or Full Frame 16:9. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. It is not one size fits all!! We will be keeping up the comparison tests once a month. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. Unlike its big brother the Canon C700, the Canon C500 II can only capture Cinema Raw Light to internal cards and not the full RAW format, though the quality is excellent  This efficient codec also benefits the user to be able to benefit from long record times (up to 50 mins of 25p in 5.9K Cinema Raw Light on single 512GB CFExpress card). I started at -2 stops down from the key light on the fill side, which is the camera left side of her face. High-speed Continuous AF auto focus, smooth, intuitive touch focus operation as well as an improved focus control that recreates a more natural focus pull. The creamy skin of the Alexa reigned true, and the C500 seemed to energize the subtle cool fill light much more than the Alexa, but overall you could cross cut these cameras very easily. 35mm E Mount, Sony α Mount, APS-C format DSLR Lenses, Biodegradable cable labels & bio-plastic tubing, VMI complimentary non-timed delivery/collection service, Latest Canon EF lenses increase functionality of latest Canon 5D/C300 III/C500II cameras, Wireless Lens Control Systems – all you need to know (updated Sep 19). I felt that this matched the Kodak 5201 daylight stock that I had used frequently in the past. Where the Alexa felt cleaner was in its highlights. Without an External Recorder, the C500 is a C300 Mark I Simply put, without an external recorder, you get nothing worth noting spec-wise in the C500 that you don’t already get in a C300 Mark I. We will be keeping up the comparison tests once a month. And the solution is simple: C100 mk III - 4k up to 60p 10bit 4:2:2 400mbit,. The likes of ARRI and Sony have already entered the full-frame cinema camera race with their Alexa Mini LF and Sony Venice cameras, but those rentals may price out budget-minded shooters. Canon EOS-C500 Camera 4.75 / 5 4 Votes. A Star is Born and Green Book were both shot on the ARRI Alexa Mini, a four-year-old camera that can’t even natively shoot proper 4K images. I know that these images are not in 2.8K and 4K for your review, but we are limited by the internet. Hard to believe but not only will the Canon C500 II stabilise images with suitable EF lenses but it has a function to perform a small digital zoom and offer digital image stabilisation of non-stabilising lenses including PL mount lenses. THe C500 Mk II is also compatible with original Canon log, Canon Log 2 or Canon Log 3 if preferred. With the daytime ISO test, you can really see the digital noise that would not be as apparent during the night because it can be masked in the blacks, aka the darkness of night. This allows it to feature a 5.9K output in full frame, and crop (window) the sensor for Super 35 and Super 16 frame sizes while maintaining a high resolution. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Give the customer what they want. With the Cinema EOS cameras it really is as simple as “battery, media, lens” and you’re shooting. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Next week the Alexa and C500 will go at it again with another round of testing. First, the film looks polished and professional. Canon just introduced the Canon C500 Mark II, the long-awaited successor to the C500, which takes a much more modular approach than previous cameras in Canon’s Cinema line-up. Overall, both cameras looked amazing, but Scotty really responded to the natural look of the C500 skin tones for this project. This site uses cookies to enable important site functionality to make your browsing experience more convenient and personal. The recent announcement was made last week. These extensive tests between the Arri Alexa and the C500 were conducted over three days with seven other cameras. Canon EOS C300 Mark II Canon EOS C700 The device has a standard memory slot (such as an SD or micro SD card slot) that enables you to extend the built-in internal storage with affordable memory modules, or easily retrieve data, such as photographs, from the memory card. Weight and Balance. Not usually seen in a camera at this level, the Canon C500 II users can customize their own LUTs and load them onto the camera for precise-look monitoring, also, users can apply different LUTs for each output terminal. The EOS C500 Mark II supports Canon Log 2 and Canon Log 3 Gamma. On Need for Speed, we shot 320 ISO during day exteriors and then 800 ISO for day interiors. A new dedicated LUT button gives additional operational flexibility. (as an aside, whilst the Sony FX-9 can offer great auto-focus as well, the fast speed required will require that you work on a native E mount lens (such as Sony G-Master). In this blog, you are about to embark on a journey of my discovery, not someone else’s. THIS ARTICLE AIMS TO INTRODUCE THE CURRENT RANGE OF WIRELESS LENS CONTROL SYSTEMS WHICH VMI CONSIDERS THE BEST IN THEIR FIELD AND EXPLAIN WHY WE THINK THAT THEY WORK VERY WELL IN GIVEN SCENARIOS. We are also including the ARRI Pro Set to allow standard film accessories to be fitted. As I am doing several short films now and need external monitor and recorder, high red codec it seems necessary and 5d mark ii can’t keep up. Blog Privacy Policy - Terms of Use - Cookie Policy   |   © 2020 © Hurlbut Visuals, All Rights Reserved. EF locking (CM-V1) 2. The ALEXA MINI was a runaway success for ARRI, so it was only natural that they were going to make an LF version. While not an issue for some, weight can be a big deal for some videographers and filmmakers.

canon c500 mark ii vs alexa mini

Front Desk Agent Salary, Walmart Deli Baked Beans, Law Firm Growth Strategies, Animals That Live In Trees Worksheet, Lundberg Sushi Rice Organic California 16 Oz, Old English Recipes,